Friday, April 17, 2009

culture.

living in new york, i am afforded many opportunities to be cultured. and i am beginning to take up the city's offer now that the weather is beginning to not suck and i actually have the funds to do things involving money.

last weekend, my wonderful and future roommate, emily, invited me to see a musical which just opened up on broadway: 'next to normal'. it blew my mind. honestly, you can't really go wrong with any show on broadway because it is a guaranteed good time. plus, i'm gay so anything that involves choreography, music and flashing lights makes me giddy with excitement.

the music is phenomenal. the actors were all believable. and it helped not knowing what i was getting myself into because there are a few twists and turns along the way. which work. ask emily - i gasped when things were revealed. and while i didn't cry - the straight/frat guy in me is able to maintain some composure - i was THISCLOSE to crying.

so, go see the show. you will love it too. and invite me.

last night, i went to see 'valentino: the last emporeror'. this too was amazing. now, if you don't live in new york, or attend major film festivals, i doubt this will come to a theatre near you. but if it does, go see it.

it's not a 'devil wears prada' type of movie. it's a documentary. and it's wonderful. i love clothes, and fashion and it was breathtaking to see how he worked, and how his team of seamstresses worked as well. everything is by hand! i was so shocked. and it made me appreciate clothing, and the art of designing so much more.

plus, he's a cute old man. even if he does look a little crispy for my taste.



so there is a quick wrap-up of my week in culture.

1 comment:

  1. haha, he IS crispy.
    and i need to see N2N again, stat. we need more aaron and adam in our lives! (and alice, she's so fierce.)

    ReplyDelete