Thursday, July 30, 2009

texting is no fun.

today, i received this little gem in my text message inbox:

"hello jill this is coach robinson for young women 1st sorry 4 text you but im at work n cant talk im texting about ticket for aug.1st if you can about 15 call u"

i have no idea who this person is. i have no idea exactly what they are trying to say. and more importantly, my name is not jill.

but it brought me to an idea, typing in today's society. have we really moved into a culture that beats and abuses the english language in such a way where 'u' really is a substitute for 'you'?

my personal writing style doesn't include things such as capitalization and whatnot. but that is my style. i at least know how to spell out words and form coherent sentences.

i find it rather vile for people to relegate words to mere letters. i seriously wonder what is going to happen to our future, and our language, when it becomes acceptable for someone to type and use words like this professionally. plus the sentence structure of that message just makes me want to beat someone with a dictionary and the ap style guide.

maybe it's because i have a love of words, but i can't bring myself to just throw away all my years of schooling because it is just "easier" to type 'n' in the form of 'and'. it's not really easier. and it really makes the other person seem like a complete fool.

1 comment:

  1. "i find it rather vile for people to relegate words to mere letters."

    I find it rather vile for people to neglect proper sentence case for the language they're writing in.

    This is not meant to be mean, but sort of funny, but interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete